The story behind the name:

One evening, at the Old Broadway Grill in Fargo, North Dakota, my brother caught the end of a Mountain Dew commercial. In the commercial, a Mountain Dew drinker was riding a shark in the ocean. My brother exclaimed in surprise, not realizing that it was a commercial. When I told him he declared "All I saw was a guy coming out of the shower with a shark." Of course, he meant water, but the idea of showering with sharks has been with me ever since.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Goodbye to January

January is my least favorite month. Let's forget for a moment that it's the coldest month of the year (which, I recently learned, is because the earth's atmosphere takes a while to warm up--much like a swimming pool or lake). Bad things happen in January. And the bad things are compounded by the fact that it's dark and cold and gray. And the snow is dirty by January. But, I digress.

Last year, my mom spent the month of January in the hospital after having an emergency hysterectomy on Dec. 26th. Yes, technically, she got sick in December, but January was the really bad month. While an infection is what put her in the hospital in the first place, the hysterectomy, the dialysis, the kidney malfunction, and the pulmonary blood clots were all tied to January.

This year, on the second day back to class at Augsburg, I found out that a very good friend of mine passed away. I had known him since my first year at NDSU. We were in the concert choir together, and later, we experienced some of the same grad school pains. He was only 38 when he died of "unknown natural causes." So, I took the second week of school to travel from Minneapolis to Killdeer, North Dakota. A journey of 8 hours that we broke up into three days of travel. The weather was cold and the funeral was tragic. But now I'm back Minneapolis and am 3 and a half hours from closing the door on January.

Unfortunately, January is always followed by February, my second least favorite month. However, this year the shortest month of the year has one bright spot: we are moving into a new house!! I love my new house and I'm SO SO SO excited.

One last note for my blog: I would like to dedicate the name of this blog, Showering with Sharks, to my brother. Thanks to a Mountain Dew commercial featuring shark-riding, a misunderstanding by Jared, and a mis-communication by the same, I have a funny story and an excellent blog title.

No comments:

Post a Comment