The story behind the name:

One evening, at the Old Broadway Grill in Fargo, North Dakota, my brother caught the end of a Mountain Dew commercial. In the commercial, a Mountain Dew drinker was riding a shark in the ocean. My brother exclaimed in surprise, not realizing that it was a commercial. When I told him he declared "All I saw was a guy coming out of the shower with a shark." Of course, he meant water, but the idea of showering with sharks has been with me ever since.

Friday, February 1, 2008

The dentist is for suckers.

And a sucker I am. I just went to the dentist. I'm not one of those dread-and-hate-the-dentist people. I don't mind the dentist. I just hadn't been there in a long while. Because of our recent move to the metro, this trip was to a dentist I had never been to before. And may I just say, that the dental assistant that cleaned my teeth was VERY ENTHUSIASTIC. I couldn't help but think of one of my brother's favorite rants. It went something like this:

"Stupid dentist! The poke you in the gums with their little metal things and then are like 'oh, well, your gums are bleeding.' Of course they're bleeding!! You've been stabbing me with the pointy metal thing!! I just want to take that thing and stab them in the eye with it."

When Jared was in high school, the only thing he hated more than dentists were refs.

Anyway, I can't talk today. I am currently recovering from a cold. While I feel much better today (almost 100%), the better I feel, the worse my voice sounds. Today, I sound like I have a small elf or gnome trapped inside my throat, trying to get out. Needless to say, my students found this very amusing this morning in my public speaking class. The harder I tried to control the wild variations in pitch and clarity, the more likely it became that my voice would shoot up an octave, like a 13-year-old boy's. It's been awesome, to say the least.

Tomorrow I have to drive to St. Cloud for a speech tournament. The unfortunate thing is that I'm going to have to leave at 7 a.m. to get there on time. I will definitely be needing a audio book for this adventure. I'm going to have to go pick one up at Barnes and Noble later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment