The story behind the name:

One evening, at the Old Broadway Grill in Fargo, North Dakota, my brother caught the end of a Mountain Dew commercial. In the commercial, a Mountain Dew drinker was riding a shark in the ocean. My brother exclaimed in surprise, not realizing that it was a commercial. When I told him he declared "All I saw was a guy coming out of the shower with a shark." Of course, he meant water, but the idea of showering with sharks has been with me ever since.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Handle with care

Two days 'til house closing! Three days 'til moving!

Today has been a bit of an odd day. I began the day (very early, like 4 a.m.) as a disaster. First, I should explain that Mark had the hiccups last night. Have you ever tried to fall asleep in the same bed as someone with the hiccups? Every 20 seconds or so Mark would hiccup and the bed would shake. It makes it difficult to drift off. Anyway, Mark finally fell asleep and the hiccups went away. At about 4 a.m., however, he got up to go to the bathroom and the hiccups returned. I also woke up (the dogs were being naughty and noisy) and so I, too, went to the bathroom. When I got back, I accidentally knocked over a little bottle of nail polish that was sitting on my nightstand. Or course, in my groggy state, I didn't realize what it was... Nor did I realize what it was until several minutes later when I began to smell the nail polish that was leaking out onto the nightstand (I swear I closed the bottle earlier-it was totally bizarre). So, I had to clean it up in the dark with Kleenex. Meanwhile, Mark is still hiccuping. Eventually, he decided to go and lay on the couch until they passed, allowing me to drift off again. Then, at a much more reasonable hour, we realized that Mark's car was dead and that I couldn't find the lint roller. Then I got cream cheese on my pants.

After the cream cheese, my day began to improve. I read an excellent first draft of a paper from a small group student. Then I listened to a little Bon Jovi. Then I had a really fun interpersonal class. All good.

Now, however, I am sitting at a speech tournament. It isn't bad, though. I'm using my downtime to get lots of work (and blogging) done. Eventually I will eat a snack, judge a final round, and get picked up by Mark to go home. And then it will only be 1 MORE DAY until closing! HOO RAH.

My parents and brother are coming down to help on Friday. My brother isn't really a morning person, so I told him that if he and mom and dad can get here by noon on Friday, I will buy him dinner and a beer at Brit's on Friday night. I think I have chosen an appropriate bribe. While he may not exactly show up with bells on, he will show up.

The one sour note of my day is that I am STILL waiting for episodes of Psych to get updated online. Since I got rid of my cable, I have been very sad without my weekly dose of my favorite fake psychic. I am now two episodes behind. When, oh when, will USA update the full episodes on their website. Stay tuned for my continued adventure with full episodes online. I know that you will be holding your breath in relentless anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment