The story behind the name:

One evening, at the Old Broadway Grill in Fargo, North Dakota, my brother caught the end of a Mountain Dew commercial. In the commercial, a Mountain Dew drinker was riding a shark in the ocean. My brother exclaimed in surprise, not realizing that it was a commercial. When I told him he declared "All I saw was a guy coming out of the shower with a shark." Of course, he meant water, but the idea of showering with sharks has been with me ever since.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Meh, meh, meh

Meh is my favorite multi-purpose word.

Today, my day was meh. Nothing too special, nothing too terrible. The bright spot, of course, being the house walk-through that will take place in roughly one hour and forty minutes. I guess I'm sort of building to that bright spot. I started out cranky this morning. No real reason. Just a general malaise of crankiness. But I'm better now, despite the fact that my office is cold AGAIN today. My poor fingers... Freezing as they type... But I just care so much about my thousands of blog readers - I WILL NOT LET COLD FINGERS STOP ME FROM BLOGGING!!!!

I do have a thermostat in my office. I think it's trickery. Like, it's there so that I have the illusion of control over my environment. The heater in my office HAS been making industrious gurgling noises all day. Also trickery, I believe. Or maybe it's one of the giant squirrels that I frequently see outside my office window trying to get in...

I've just been IMing with my fabulous friend Kristen in Little Rock, Arkansas. While I do think that computer-mediated communication (or CMC, for you non-communication majors) is in a large way ruining written communication, if it wasn't for IMing I would be in a state of devastating sadness. The sadness would be a result of being out of daily contact with my fabulous friend Kristen in Arkansas. But, fortunately, she is always just a mouse-click away. Through IMing, I can get my daily (or weekly) dose of one of my favorite people.

Writing of Kristen has warmed my heart, but not my fingers...

I'm off to warmer locals. And by warmer locals I mean the car that my husband is picking me up in. It's usually warm in there by the time he gets to the back door of my building.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your critique of CMC.
    There are many disheartening aspects of it--concerning face to face contact and the use of pen/paper (although I don't like using paper anymore--it makes me feel guilty), the advantages of CMC far outweigh those issues.
    I, for one, would not feel as close with my mother were it not for MSN Messenger. I don't have the multi-tasking ability to talk on the phone and concentrate on homework at the same time--and so, I rely on IM-ing to share my daily happenings with those closest (or, one might say, farthest away) to me.

    I didn't really say anything enlightening in that paragraph--it was sort of just a reaffirmation and statement of concurrence. :)

    ReplyDelete