The story behind the name:

One evening, at the Old Broadway Grill in Fargo, North Dakota, my brother caught the end of a Mountain Dew commercial. In the commercial, a Mountain Dew drinker was riding a shark in the ocean. My brother exclaimed in surprise, not realizing that it was a commercial. When I told him he declared "All I saw was a guy coming out of the shower with a shark." Of course, he meant water, but the idea of showering with sharks has been with me ever since.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Cookies on the Chopping Block

... In more ways than one.

First. I just returned from making some photocopies. Because I had a stack of 10 pages, it occurred to me that I should take advantage of the paper cutter behind me to cut them into the appropriate sections. However, when I turned around, I discovered that a selection of yummy smelling cookies and treats had taken over the paper cutters. I wanted to eat one... Or a handful... But there were other people in there so I didn't.

Second. This story of outsider-mitigated restraint leads me to the second interpretation of my blog title. I am going to try to cut down on the refined sugars. Those of you who know me will realize that my crusade against processed sugar is a frequently recurring theme in my life. These sugar-free desires can be prompted by a number of different things: 1) Reading labels on food and discovering just how much sugar is in something 2) Watching the Biggest Loser 3) Reading health magazines 4) Trying on pants that don't fit anymore 5) Watching Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (don't ask) or, most recently 6) My wonderful friend's problems with prenatal diabetes.

So, while this blog was never intended to be a health or weight-loss blog, per se, I will suggest that sugarlessness and health may become a more frequent topic as I struggle with the day to day temptations that surround me... Like the dessert bar at the cafeteria where I eat lunch every day. They have the BEST peanut butter cookies in the world. Fortunately, they don't offer these every day.

And on that note, I would appreciate any tips, hints or words of encouragement. Just, please, don't offer me any cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment