The story behind the name:

One evening, at the Old Broadway Grill in Fargo, North Dakota, my brother caught the end of a Mountain Dew commercial. In the commercial, a Mountain Dew drinker was riding a shark in the ocean. My brother exclaimed in surprise, not realizing that it was a commercial. When I told him he declared "All I saw was a guy coming out of the shower with a shark." Of course, he meant water, but the idea of showering with sharks has been with me ever since.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

How Super is it?

Super Tuesday and I'm super busy.

I just spent five minutes disclosing (or venting) about my crazy busy life to my friend and colleague David, so I choose to move on and not rehash that same long, tiring conversation here. Plus, after yesterday's blog-a-thon (see how I craftily combined marathon and blog?) I think I will stick to brevity here today.

In honor of Super Tuesday, I do feel compelled to make some reference to politics. I am looking forward to finding out the results of today's polling. I am generally skeptical of polling as it represents a quantitative method of research and I am generally skeptical of quantitative research -- that being said, tonight will be interesting because it will be a major step in charting the future of our country. A future that, I fervently hope, will be quite different from our past eight years.

I vividly remember three and some odd months ago, after the last Presidential election, the feelings of sadness, despair, and disbelief when W. was re-elected. I couldn't figure out how the majority of people in my country could be so foolish (my apologies to anyone who did vote for W, I assume you have discovered the error of your ways). I walked into my office where my colleague and fellow-grad student declared that she was ready to move to Canada. Mary was even more despondent about the results... and more vocal about her feelings. But, we didn't move to Canada, and here I sit on the eve of what could truly be a historical moment for the United States. I am not ashamed to say that I am excited to see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment