The story behind the name:

One evening, at the Old Broadway Grill in Fargo, North Dakota, my brother caught the end of a Mountain Dew commercial. In the commercial, a Mountain Dew drinker was riding a shark in the ocean. My brother exclaimed in surprise, not realizing that it was a commercial. When I told him he declared "All I saw was a guy coming out of the shower with a shark." Of course, he meant water, but the idea of showering with sharks has been with me ever since.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I'm Busy... Really...

So, for those of you who have somehow managed to avoid my bitch about my crazy busy semester, here it goes:

I'm teaching five and a half classes right now. On Monday, Wednesday, Friday I have class at 9:10, 11:00, 1:20, and 2:30. I'm co-teaching the 2:30 class - that's my half. On Tuesday I have class at 3:10 and on Thursday I have class at 3:10 and from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. at a different location off-campus. The good news is that my night class is done after next week. Anyway, the point is that I'm pretty busy this semester and I'm especially busy MWF.

So, here I am, sitting in my office on Monday just after finishing my 1:20 class. This morning I got an email from a student of mine asking which was more important in my small group class: the chapter notes or the group project. This is not a simple question. I need to think of how to answer it because it could so easily go awry. For example:

Student: What's more important, the group work or the chapters?

Me: The chapters.

Student: (after flunking group project) But you SAID that the group project wasn't important.

Me: No, I did not.

Student: Yes you did.

Me: Do you still have the email I sent you.

Student: No. But I know what it said.

Me: Well, I DO still have it. I can show it to you.

Student: Nevermind. (all the while thinking "I'll get her on her evals")

Anyway, I got this email and fully intended to respond to it but my day started and things go busy. I'm sitting in my office when this student drops in to ask if I got the email and to remind me that I need to respond to her.

I start to say "Yes, I got it. I'm very busy on Wednesdays and I just haven't had a chance to respond yet."

Then I realize that I am currently watching a stupid video that my Dad sent to me about a cat and a crow that are friends with each other.

S*&T.

No comments:

Post a Comment