The story behind the name:

One evening, at the Old Broadway Grill in Fargo, North Dakota, my brother caught the end of a Mountain Dew commercial. In the commercial, a Mountain Dew drinker was riding a shark in the ocean. My brother exclaimed in surprise, not realizing that it was a commercial. When I told him he declared "All I saw was a guy coming out of the shower with a shark." Of course, he meant water, but the idea of showering with sharks has been with me ever since.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Ghosts and Ghostbusters

What follows is the contextualization and then the actual email conversation as it happened:

Mark posted a video of Harper climbing at the park. You can check it out on Mark's facebook page if you wish. She is saying stuff during the video as she climbs. Over lunch, Ali tells me that she watched the video but that she was wondering what Harper had been saying. Upon returning to my office after lunch, I check out the video again and do a little interpreting.

Email #1: From Me

Just watched the Harper slide video again. I'm pretty sure she is say "away" and at one point "Harper got away!" Also, when she gets to the bottom of the slide she says "slippery".

Email #2: Ali Response

"Harper got away!" is definitely my new favorite. Who was Harper running from?

Email #3: From Me

Who knows. I think they probably play chasing games at daycare. Also, ghosts.

Email #4: Ali again

Isn't there a movie about a kid that gets followed by ghosts? Ghostbusters, maybe?

Email #5: Me educating Ali on a topic where her knowledge is clearly lacking

Uh, you're thinking of the Sixth Sense. You know... "I see dead people." In Ghostbusters is four grown men. And they follow the ghosts, not the other way around. Sheesh.

Email #6: Ali, trying desperately to regain ground

Yeah yeah yeah, but I think in the second Ghostbusters, one of the Ghostbusters has a kid, and that kid attracts ghosts or something. I dunno, it's been, like, fifteen years since I've seen the second one.

Email #7: Me, in wise-teacher mode

Sigh. Ok. Here is your Ghostbuster 2 education. There is a baby named Oscar. He does not attract ghosts. The evil dude Vigo who lives in a scary painting sends ghosts (and Peter MacNicol) after him so that Vigo can be reborn into Oscar's body. The Ghostbuster's save him by using positively charged (by music) pink slime to animate the Statue of Liberty. They pop Vigo back into the painting and douse Peter MacNicol with happy to snap him out of Vigo's possession. They also have to slime Ray, who was also briefly possessed by Vigo. Ray (Dan Aykroyd) and Peter MacNicol express friendly love for each other and everyone lives happily ever after.

Email #8: Ali, clearly knowing that she has been outclassed

WHATEVER

Email #9: Me

Ha ha ha. I totally just blogged this.

And I did.

1 comment: