The story behind the name:

One evening, at the Old Broadway Grill in Fargo, North Dakota, my brother caught the end of a Mountain Dew commercial. In the commercial, a Mountain Dew drinker was riding a shark in the ocean. My brother exclaimed in surprise, not realizing that it was a commercial. When I told him he declared "All I saw was a guy coming out of the shower with a shark." Of course, he meant water, but the idea of showering with sharks has been with me ever since.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Parenting & Sharing

I feel compelling to say that we were joking. Here it goes:

"Should we get Tegan and make her a bottle?"

"Yes," Mark says. We are tired and want to go to bed.

I go into the kitchen and start running water. "I'll make it. Do you want to feed her or should I?"

Mark says, "Oh, you'll make the food but you don't want to feed the children?"

"Yes," I say. "That's right."

"Because then you'd have to touch them," he continues.

"Tell you what," I say. "When Tegan turns 9 months old, then we'll be even and we can start sharing parenting responsibilities again."

"Oh," Mark says, "This is about you having to carry the baby?"

"Yes," I say, mixing up the bottle. "I spent 9 months making her. Now you can nurture her for 9 months and then we'll be even. At her 9 month birthday we'll be back at ground zero."

I screw the top on the bottle.

Mark heads out of the kitchen to go get Tegan. "I'm glad our marriage is grounded on the foundation of making sure we are even."

No comments:

Post a Comment