The story behind the name:

One evening, at the Old Broadway Grill in Fargo, North Dakota, my brother caught the end of a Mountain Dew commercial. In the commercial, a Mountain Dew drinker was riding a shark in the ocean. My brother exclaimed in surprise, not realizing that it was a commercial. When I told him he declared "All I saw was a guy coming out of the shower with a shark." Of course, he meant water, but the idea of showering with sharks has been with me ever since.

Monday, March 31, 2008

364 Days and Counting

My 29th birthday was on Saturday. My golden birthday. I turned 29 on the 29th. Which means I'm only 364 days from 30 years old. I guess I'm not terribly concerned about being in my 29th year. I've always been a person for celebrating my birthday. I wonder if that will change as I get (even) older. I know there are alot of people out there that dread their upcoming birthdays, but I believe (at least right now) that age is a state of mind. Evidence my grampa. He's over 80 (I think) yet frequently acts like an annoying and unreasonable child. But the fact that I will be turning 30 may give me some perspective on life. Perhaps this will be the year that Mark and I finally manage to go on one of the trips we are always talking about... Perhaps overseas? I don't know, but I like the sense of milestones and achievements. Remember the episode of "Friends" where Phoebe finds out she's actually a year older than she thought? And she's really depressed because she had a list of things she wanted to accomplish before she turned 30?

Moving away from philosophy and sensing mortality... My party was excellent. Mark tried really hard to throw me a party that I would really like, and I think he succeeded admirably. We had quite a few people show up, which was really awesome. It was even a nice day weather-wise!

In the morning, Annie and I went to Ikea... very fun. Ikea is generally fun all on your own, but it's even more fun with my sister-in-law. She has a very childlike sense of wonder. It's fun to see her get really excited over a chair or bookcase. After Ikea, we met Mark and Jared, Dave and Barb, and Charley and Eileen at the Cheesecake Factory for lunch. Mark and I shared the four cheese pasta and a piece of dulce de leche caramel cheesecake. It was ridiculously good. After lunch we went back to the house where Ang and Isabelle were waiting. I was SO glad that Ang came up. Isabelle was just getting over a bought with stomach flu, so wasn't the usual happy baby we are used to, but she was still adorable. She's SO close to walking and she likes to scoot around the floor like a gorilla. No crawling for this baby! On Sunday Ang dressed her in a little purple onsie with a whale on the front that I bought her from Target.

For my party, we had everyone over to the new house. Most people had not seen it before and it was fun to give tours to everyone and point out the things we had done/improved. The we ate and played games and talked and I finally rolled into bed at 2 a.m. after my last guest left.

Today marks the beginning of the end of the semester. Only four weeks of class left, finals week, then commencement on May 3rd. Amazing. Where did the semester go? I hope these last four weeks fly just as quickly. I have to admit I'm looking forward to May and a little break before summer classes start up.

Well, that's it for today. As I only have four weeks of class left, I better get some actual work done!

No comments:

Post a Comment