The story behind the name:

One evening, at the Old Broadway Grill in Fargo, North Dakota, my brother caught the end of a Mountain Dew commercial. In the commercial, a Mountain Dew drinker was riding a shark in the ocean. My brother exclaimed in surprise, not realizing that it was a commercial. When I told him he declared "All I saw was a guy coming out of the shower with a shark." Of course, he meant water, but the idea of showering with sharks has been with me ever since.

Monday, March 3, 2008

A Day Lost, a Bug-Eating Plant, and a Star Snack

I had the flu on Friday. I was awake a grand total of 7 hours. It was miserable. And that is that.

On Sunday Barb and I went to the Home and Garden Show. It was huge. I was totally unprepared for the hugeness of it. I was also unprepared for the people. The people with babies and small children. And the beer kiosk. But, I suppose that all the husbands dragged to the show by their wives needed some beer. Especially if those husbands were also expected to look after the small children in that giant crowded space. Just thinking about it made me want to buy one. But, instead, Barb and I had twisty cones.

There were some fun things interspersed among all the different window vendors. Barb and I decided that we liked the vendors that had actual things to sell the best. We found some great deals on 400 thread count sheets. Barb also bought a really cute planter that looks like a watering can. I bought a bug-eating plant. It's really cute and I have decided to name it Hubert. It doesn't look anything like a venus flytrap. Instead, it has these really pretty leaves that apparently exude some sort of smell that is irresistible to little bugs - like the fruit flies that sometimes live on your bananas. The little bugs land on the leaves and get stuck there. Then the plant digests them. Kinda gross, but also very cool. Plus, I hate bugs. Ask my mom, she'll tell you. I had a traumatic grasshopper experience when I was little. It was during a very hot, dry summer and the kind with the bib black and yellow wings were EVERYWHERE! One landed on my nose. It has scarred me for life. While, being an adult, I try not to jump and shout whenever a grasshopper pops up unexpectedly, I will walk out of my way to avoid them. And I do usually jump and shout when one pops up unexpectedly. Yucky.

For the last part of my blog, I am going to channel "No, I Am A Cat" and talk about the video game I just started. I got Mario Galaxy for Christmas and I had been saving it until after we moved into the new house. So, feeling better and ensconced upon my brand new couch, I pulled out Mario Galaxy and popped it in the ol' Wii. I don't think I am overstating it at all to say that Mario Galaxy is SUPER fun! It took me a little while to get used to the controls, but after a few planets it's almost like holding a standard controller. I'm still getting used to using the nunchuk button for the ground-pound, though.

I am not sure what my evening will consist of tonight. I really should go to the gym. It's been over a week and I do feel better, albeit very tired. I am also looking forward to the two-hour season finale of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I have pleasant visions of me sitting and watching it while grading a few papers. And, of course, now that I've started talking about Mario Galaxy, I want to play that for awhile. Do I have enough time for all this fun and getting groceries, too?!?! I will answer that breathless question tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I understand your hatred for bugs, and won't laugh if, on the way to Interpersonal Communication, one jumps out and you react hilariously.
    My dad threw worms at me unexpectedly when I was four and helping him load firewood, and I've detested worms ever since.

    ReplyDelete